[OSM-talk] Transcription and 'internationalization' in place names

Joseph Reeves iknowjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 14:15:38 BST 2012

>Should I simply open a ticket on Mapnik's issue tracker, to request that in
>Korea, labels be rendered as "name:ko (name:en)"?

I think we should request for a international solution rather than Korea
specifically, but yes, I like the idea. Claudius points out that:

>I guess you are referring to the map rendering at www.openstreetmap.orgbecause MapQuest is also using Mapnik to >render their open map

I don't know if MapQuest have submitted their changes upstream to Mapnik,
but regardless of this, the same functionality should be requested on the
osm.org Mapnik instance.

As for Korea:

>Should we add name:ko=서울특별시?
>Otherwise, how do we know the Korean name for this city?

It seems to me that adding name:ko is duplicating data. We should be using
the local names for the name: tag, so the Korean can go in there. I would
then have this rendered as "name= (name:en=)" on the osm.org mapnik tiles.
Such a system could presumably be used worldwide (although I'm sure there
are plenty of people that would disagree). Having said that, adding
name:ko= isn't going to hurt and may be of use to other data consumers.

All best, Joseph