[OSM-talk] Transcription and 'internationalization' in place names

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Tue Apr 17 02:31:18 BST 2012

Andrew Errington writes:

> In fact, I think that if name:ko=* is present, then it doesn't actually matter
> what is in name=*.  The definition of name=* then becomes subtly altered to
> mean "The label we use if no language is specified."  Then we can argue what
> goes into that label...

IMHO the definition of the name tag is fine. It says it's the name the
*local* people call it. If the local people want some mixed spelling in
that tag then, -well- it's their problem when doing other things with the
data besides rendering a map.

So the standard rendering should be a help for the *local* mappers and thus
display their local name.

If for tourists or other special cases a different rendering is required
then it should be on a specialized map.

For Thailand we do it like this. The local people can read the names on the
map as a lot of expats who map here can do.

For those who want to have latin script names we have a special rendering.

As Mapquest does already provide a fallback to English, why not adapt the
label on the main site to read "MapQuest open (bilingual)" to make it
easier to find?

Stephan