[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

iONiX ionix.ua at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:40:43 BST 2012

On 02.08.2012 23:10, Cartinus wrote:

> On 08/02/2012 09:47 PM, iONiX wrote:
>> On 02.08.2012 21:38, Lester Caine wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> If they are currently NOT showing what is on the sign then YES, and in
>>> my book that is not even up for discussion!
>>> If I can't photograph what appears on the base map ... it's wrong, and
>>> should be tagged as that so it can be fixed ...
>>> If there IS no sign, then it's obviously a matter for argument what is
>>> used, and it that case I'd prefer not to render anything since that is
>>> the case on the ground. Translated options for names can then be freely
>>> used for translated maps.
>>
>> Ok, than I want to see, what community will be first to report me to DWG.
>
> Are you the _local_ community in all those places? Don't think so.

So, "truth on the ground" rule applies only to mappers from local
community? Other mappers have no right to apply this rule? If I saw
those signs in a vacation trip, or I use other free sources, am I not
allowed to change them?

By the way, have You read DWG decision? Clearly no.
[quote]
It is not sufficient to execute some kind of proposal process and say
"you can participate in the vote if you want". We acknowledge that this
is difficult, especially given the rather un-civil way in which some
Crimea mappers have behaved in this discussion, but if they are not
included in the solution then the problem cannot be resolved.
[/quote]

How community is defined? Are one person in some suburb or desert
community? If so, he can establish any policies he want. And when he is
not cooperative with rest of bigger community, than they have to accept
his decision.

Do I have be anywhere locally to be part of community? What if I tell
You, I am living in Amsterdam? I find some more people, we decide to tag
buildings with "place_to_sleep" in our suburb/town/region? How the rest
of dutch community will react?

I am trying to show that there are much bigger problem with name tag in
many parts of the world, not only Ukraine!