[OSM-talk] shameless copying: still going on !!

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Aug 9 15:12:20 BST 2012

Am 09.08.2012 15:10, schrieb ce-test, qualified testing bv - Gert Gremmen:

> I declare the new map  still to be  CC-BY-SA and not ODBL

Well...
Your examples have to be investigated and fixed, I'm sure, but here
you're completely right:
OSM is still licensed as CC-BY-SA currently as far as I know.

Who told you it has changed the license, yet?

So it's perfectly clean up to know.
Sure: There may be problems that should prevent from finally switching
to odbl, and yes, some examples might be the ones you mentioned.
Sure: we might not find every single piece where such problems exist -
just like you probably don't have any idea how to find copyright
problems in your fork.
There have been copyright infringements by copies from google and others
before, and ususally they have been found and fixed, because somebody
reported these to osm, in a most often constructive way.

Unluckily you're not constructive in the way you report these problems -
but nobody expected that from you, I fear.
At least you mentioned user names and fuzzy regions where further
investigation might start, while of course it would have been easier to
solve with direct references, but sure: you don't want to help, you want
to flame again and again.
That's boring, sorry.

regards
Peter