[OSM-talk] OSMF Board & auto industry / What's the story?

ThomasB toba0211 at yahoo.de
Thu Aug 9 21:17:58 BST 2012

Maarten Deen wrote

> What would be interesting is to know what is necessary for them to use
> OSM. Is it possible to need their meets and therefore usefull to spend
> time to do it or not?
> For instance: address information. Is the Karlsruhe-scheme sufficient?

afaik, lanes & directions and lane-directions (plus well known coverage
issues) to make these fancy images with lanes and signposts what you can see
if you change a motorway at a motorway intersection for example at new
commercial systems. The german forum is disussing with a employee of a
manufacturer. The issue we have and why would should discuss that with them
is, that we have no knowledge how such information can be used by consumers.
We have routing engines but these do not use lane, turn-lane and
signpost(direction=) informations. So we have no idea if our tagging would
work for consumers (open-source or commercial). The idea is to get some help
from them.