[OSM-talk] OSMF Board & auto industry / What's the story?

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Thu Aug 9 21:05:48 BST 2012

* Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl> [2012-08-09 14:55 +0200]:
> Just curious: what is the current legal stand on mixing OSM with
> proprietary information? Let's say I want to use the OSM map and I
> have bought a proprietary list of POI's. Am I allowed to combine
> this, convert this to my proprietary format and distribute this,
> only giving credit?

As I understand it (and, of course, legal-talk@ is that way -->), under
the ODbL, if you mix your own data into OSM data and distribute the
result, you must give any users access to your mixed database and license
that database to them under the ODbL (or give them your POI list and
whatever programs are necessary to mix the two datasets).  You have to
provide this data in a reasonably-accessible format.  CC-BY-SA is similar
in broad terms (you must license the mixed database to the user under
CC-BY-SA), but lacks the details more specific to datasets, like the
reasonable-format requirement.