[OSM-talk] FYI - Creating GTFS data from OSM data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Aug 18 08:56:56 BST 2012

Hi,

On 18.08.2012 04:41, Mike N wrote:
> There are some free GTFS editors, some paid products, but none that
> start with maximum use of OSM data as a base to create an initial GTFS
> feed.

> Let me know off list if you're interested in looking at the program.
> After 1 or 2 people test it, I'll just check it into SVN.

I don't know enough about GTFS and how Google use it, but can you
somehow make sure that files generated with your program don't end up on
Google (either through technical means, or by educating the users of
your program accordingly)? Or at least make sure that *if* data ends up
on Google our license is not violated?

I know that there are many non-Google uses of GTFS meanwhile, but since
the format was originally created by Google and is still used by them to
load third-party transit data, maybe the existence of an OSM-to-GTFS
converter could be misunderstood by some as an invitation to upload OSM
transit data to Google's database?

Bye
Frederik