[OSM-talk] FYI - Creating GTFS data from OSM data

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sat Aug 18 12:51:34 BST 2012

On 8/18/2012 3:56 AM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> maybe the existence of an OSM-to-GTFS converter could be misunderstood
> by some as an invitation to upload OSM transit data to Google's database?

  I would go further and say that the existence of GTFS data itself
would be an invitation to upload to Google's database.  Even if I
instruct the current staff about licensing issues, any new personnel
would find it reasonable that they should upload to Google.

And the data files themselves don't have a standard for embedding
copyright information.   This is because Google's Transit Content
Agreement pretty much requires that all rights be assigned to Google
anyway.
http://odd.greatergreaterwashington.org/files/2010/stdgoogletransit.pdf

   So since the GTFS files include shape and stop geo data directly
derived from OSM data, my project is pretty much a dead issue for
licensing reasons.  So the OpenTripPlanner experiment will remain a
publicly accessible private toy on my personal server.

   As an almost related note, I hope the mobile Kickstarter project
takes off - my private site will be much more usable from a mobile device:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/228865951/transit-app-for-ios-6-and-beyond

   If it makes its goal, I also hope they include a "Pull the stop rope
now" - type of function.  If someone takes public transit to a new
location, there is little chance of them recognizing an upcoming stop.
I suppose they could ask the driver to stop somewhere however.