[OSM-talk] FYI - Creating GTFS data from OSM data

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sat Aug 18 18:46:56 BST 2012

On 8/18/2012 8:00 AM, Mike Dupont wrote:
> This is openplans.org?
>
> is the opentrip planner able to use osm data directly?
> https://github.com/openplans/OpenTripPlanner

   Yes, OpenTripPlanner can use OSM data directly to route for cycle,
foot, and even car traffic - although they don't optimize car routing at
this time.

   OpenTripPlanner can also include public transit routing and bike
rental service definitions to plan a multimode trip.  In order to
include public transit information, a GTFS dataset needs to be created
to define the routes plans and schedules outside of the OSM data.

   My tool allows the user to define the schedule data based on OSM
route and stop information.  OpenTripPlanner then consumes those files
and functions as a multimode router.  I think this will be within the
current and future license as long as I make the tools available to the
public.  And also as long as the GTFS dataset never gets uploaded to Google.