[OSM-talk] average speed as opposed to speed limit in calculating routes

renato rennabh at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 10:41:37 BST 2012

Hi, I've been trying out the Waze android GPS navigator and the one
feature I really find useful of it is that, in route calculation, it
doesn't use the road speed limit but rather the actual average speed on
that road, calculated from the data gathered from other users driving
those roads.

In a few days of use, I have discovered some new routes for places I
regularly go to, routes that are less known but certainly faster (avoid
traffic lights for example). Also the time estimates are way better
than Osmand (the only OSM navigator I actively used, but I plan on
trying other ones).

Could something like this be done in OSM? Has someone ever thought of
it? First thought would be an average_speed_by_car tag, that navigators
could use in calculating routes. Even better would be an automated way
of updating these tags by users using the navigator.

just curious to know thoughts about this idea,

cheers
renato