[OSM-talk] average speed as opposed to speed limit in calculating routes

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Sun Aug 26 11:27:30 BST 2012

Hi Renato.

I think we had a similar discussions some time ago on one of the mailing
lists, but I don't find it currently.

Some thoughts about it:

1) possibilities to do sth. like that in OSM:
Waze uses recorded data collections from real users. Provided that these
are real users and real traces, the speed estimation cannot be
manipulated by anyone, and can be calculated from a big database by
algorithms. This is not possible (or at least useful) in osm: what is
the average speed of a particular road? at which time of the day? during
holidays? at the weekend? by motorcycle or truck? .....
It might be possible to get an incredible complex tagging scheme for
that - but you need a huge amount of data to be added and maintained to
get useful data from it, so it's nothing for by-hand-work of mappers IMHO.

2) problems of manipulations:
Living at a big street people often don't want to have more traffic in
front of their sleeping room window than necessary. A legal speed limit
is a fact - you can proove it's correctness and lying about it is "more
difficult" and detected as vandalism if you keep wrong facts there.
But an average speed is hard to measure, even harder to proove, and
dropping it by 20km/h may lead an important router to use a different
route - great; but there's no benefit to the user of that router,
because driving there at night or only outside the rush hours he might
have omitted the traffic jams, so the shorter route in fact may have
been much faster.

On top of that these data often change fast with construction sites,
special events, holidays and much more.

To summarize: I can imagine a system similar to waze collecting traces
and statistical data about average speed, and I can imagine osm based
routers that take this into account; but I don't think it's
possible/manageable to include this kind of data to the osm database itself.

regards
Peter