[OSM-talk] average speed as opposed to speed limit in calculating routes

Pavel Melnikov positron96 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 12:10:47 BST 2012

Hello all.
There are some services (proprietary) that show traffic jams and events
that can slow you down here in Russia. The values are collected from real
users using mapping application that sends speed data. This data is also
used to calculate routes.

This feature is very useful actually, and it would be great to implement
something in OSM. However, I think it should not be included in static osm
database using tags and values (because these values are likely to change
rapidly), but use a different database (and different project maybe) that
collects and shows on-line live data. For example, at rush hours we have
many traffic jams, at night and on weekends we have none, all for the same
street - and this live data could be used to calculate routes.