[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Role of the Wiki

Kathleen Danielson kathleen.danielson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 20:53:04 GMT 2012

> *Some of these resources may require a
> little effort on your part, and they may not all be as well advertised
> **or interconnected as they should be,* but you have to realize that
> OpenStreetMap is eternally a work in progress, run entirely by
> volunteers who are working really hard to keep up with and channel
> that progress.

I think that the first half of that sentence is worth taking notice of,
with all due respect to the second half (and the volunteers who make it
so!). As a newcomer to OSM, I am aware that there are some really fantastic
resources out there, but I'm not really sure where to start, and that in
and of itself ends up being quite discouraging. Some more direction and
encouragement for new users could both help new mappers who share these
frustrations, as well as identify highest priority action items for
documentation improvement.

I gather there's a proposal for a new Welcome Working
Group<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rw/Proposal:Welcome_Working_Group>,
and I think that this potential group has a lot to offer in this exact
area. I 100% understand how experienced users and contributors can feel
taxed by discussions like this, but I think there is a subset of members
who are eager to help onboard new mappers. Maybe this is a good time to
re-kickstart that proposal? Personally, I'm really excited to get involved
in this aspect of the OSM community.

(apologies if I'm missing any important context/discussions happening
elsewhere)

Best,
Kathleen