[OSM-talk] what to do cues

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Mon Dec 31 06:21:32 GMT 2012

On Dec 30, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Jeff Meyer wrote:

> Are there any tools that can tip users to what they could do in a particular map area?
>
> For example, for a given bb(zoom>some min) in a browser window, is there anything that says:
> - Hey, relative to other (or selected best-practice examples) areas like the one you're viewing, this area has:
> -- Fewer addresses - learn how to add
> -- Fewer buildings - learn how to add
> -- Fewer POIs - learn how to add
> -- POIs that would normally have buildings, but don't (e.g. schools)
> -- Zorro Ways - learn how to fix
> -- There's a park with no trails - learn how to add
> -- etc.
>
> In general, I'm thinking of something that will help new users answer the question, "How can I help?," particularly for their local 'hood without sending them to too (too) many off-map web resources. Or even a suggestive OSM Inspector?

Geofabrik has the Inspector tool, which is a bit inside-baseball but does a great job of surfacing a variety of common tagging and geometry problems:
	http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/debug.html?view=geometry&lon=-122.29381&lat=37.80892&zoom=11&opacity=0.29
	http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/debug.html?view=tagging&lon=-122.33638&lat=47.55957&zoom=11&opacity=0.29

It'd be interesting to develop code for some of the more wish-listey items you suggest, like parks with no trails or buildingless-POIs.

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html