[OSM-talk] Contact And Remap Campaign

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat Feb 4 18:45:23 GMT 2012

Hi everyone,

We ask OSM mappers to check their local mapping areas, try and contact
anyone who has not decided about re-licensing and then do as much
remapping as you can. Please do this in good faith and not just copy
things created by contributors who have declined or undecided! You can
use information contributed by continuing mappers, resources like Bing
imagery and your own knowledge. If you are mapping in Poland or the
Czech Republic, please also note that we are aware of special issues
that makes this difficult for you right now.

We would like to switch over licenses in two months time. In order to do
that, un-relicensable data has to be removed from the active database,
though it will remain in publicly available archives. The latest
indications [1] are that 1.9% of ways will likely not survive the
license change and a further 0.6% may have to be reverted back to an
earlier state.

We would like to decrease that still further.

Your mapping area may be much worse or much better. You can use
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=wtfe and zoom into your area.
Information on this tool can be found at [2]. You can then click on
Potlatch or JOSM icons to find out more and to do remapping. More info:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Remapping

We ask that you look at your areas and contact undecided mappers via the
OpenStreetMap messaging system or directly if you know them. So that
they do not get bothered too many times, please log who you contacted on
this wiki page

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Asking_users_to_accept_the_ODbL

This page also has example messages in different languages. Ask
undecided mappers to please log into their account and accept even if
they no longer wish to continue mapping as their previous contribution
is important to you. Contact from someone mapping in the same area is
very useful.

Mike
License Working Group

PS The text of this posting can also be found at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Remapping/Contact_And_Remap_Campaign
. Please feel to simplify it to help non-native English speakers and to
translate it into other languages.

[1] http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/munin.html
[2]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Remapping/License_Change_View_on_OSM_Inspector