[OSM-talk] Contact And Remap Campaign

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 16:53:20 GMT 2012

On 10 February 2012 10:47, Richard Fairhurst <richard en systemed.net> wrote:
> andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>> I honestly found it strange that RichardF would insist on
>> 80n selecting one of the options.. really, what's the
>> point?
>
> It's a courtesy thing. If you're going to refuse, have the decency to say
> so, so that your fellow OSMeres know whether they'll be able to use your
> contributions under the new licence and terms. Most people don't seem to
> have a problem with clicking the button but there are one or two that do.

It would be a courtesy to do something that is of any benefit to
OSMers, of any significance, but that's not the case.

Secondly you can ask someone a courtesy if you're going to do
something for them too.  For example if you maintain a software
project, you can tell them to avoid "goto" in their patch -- makes no
difference but it's a courtesy.  The expectation is that if they do it
then you can merge their code into the project.  In this case 80n and
others (me included) are asking osmf to stop abusing its position to
harm this project as well as anyone who needs geodata under CC-By-SA,
and you're responding "no way in hell" and still asking a favour.

Cheers