[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Mon Jan 2 09:49:19 GMT 2012

On 22/12/2011 13:04, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
> You can use ooc.openstreetmap.org to see out-of-copyright Ordnance
> Survey maps for most of Britain. The coverage varies from area to area
> and series to series, but between them pretty much everywhere is covered.
>
> Jonathan.

Mick,

I've been tracing roman road from these maps into OSM. You can best see
them at http://maps3.org.uk/tiles/historic.html
<http://maps.webhop.net/historic> , kindly provided by Graham Jones. The
blue lines are the roman roads. It also shows anything else "historic"
in the UK. It is currently a couple of months out of date but Graham
will be updating it.

Over the next year I aim to be more methodical about this as I found my
OS "Map of Roman Britain", 3rd Edition, 16 miles to one inch which I
bought as a teenager and is out of copyright.

I've been using historic=roman_road but will be switching to
historic=road, culture=roman as per an excellent tagging schema proposed
by Francesco de Virgilio at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Fradeve11/prove2 , as this will
enable a pan-European approach.

Mike