[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 11:12:54 GMT 2012

On 2 January 2012 09:49, Michael Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:

> **
> I've been using historic=roman_road but will be switching to
> historic=road, culture=roman as per an excellent tagging schema proposed by
> Francesco de Virgilio at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Fradeve11/prove2 , as this will
> enable a pan-European approach.

I hadn't seen that proposal - I agree it would be good to have a world-wide
scheme, but I am concerned that we could potentially end up with different
tagging schemes here...and I know how unpopular it would be to 'correct'
them electronically in the future....

As far as I can tell there is:

   1. The proposed culture= (no wiki page for it yet other than
   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Fradeve11/prove2
   2. historic:civilization= -
   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:historic:civilization

I started a wiki page to record how British historical sites are tagged (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Historic_Britain) - It
would be good to update that with the proposal - the main thing that is
missing from it is a list of 'cultures' or 'civilizations' that we can all
use.

Neither culture nor historic:civilization are that well used, but there are
more historic:civilization entries (see http://taginfo.osm.org).

What I intend to do with my map is to have different layers for different
cultures/civilizations so that you can see all roman features, or all cold
war relics etc.

Regards

Graham.
--