[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Tue Jan 3 21:12:35 GMT 2012

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 19:10:25 +0000
Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> Vladimir Vyskocil wrote:
> > I agree 100% with you, the main OSM database couldn't be used for everything, it has been designed to map the existing world (one road after one) not the whole history !
>
> There would be no change what so ever to the database to RECORD the very history
> that we are currently all actively gathering. Rather than DELETING material, it
> just gets marked as 'old' so claiming that the the existing database 'has been
> designed to map the existing world' is simply a false assumption. It already HAS
> to manage work that has yet to be completed, and retain work that is in the
> process of being reworked. Deleting that information has nothing to do with how
> the database work ... like the licensing rules it's purely a political decision.
> HISTORY of changes is already being logged ... so the information IS already in
> the database ... it is how we access it that is the only technical question.
>
> --
Speaking ONLY for myself, I never intended for the historical work I am doing to become part of the main stream OSM database but if OSM was to see value in expanding in that direction I would be glad to contribute.

The association of my work and OSM is that I am using Coastline, River, Peak and Town data from OSM as the greater part of my base layers. I am also using OS Open Data plus a number of datasets from around the web.

When I get to the point of having something to share I was contemplating creating a 'Bastard son of open street map' as a mechanism to share it. The thinking behind this idea is that OSM has a somewhat complete range of tools and a very good presentation.

From my reading of the wiki I could see that what I am producing is outside the remit of OSM and had no intention inserting it in OSM.

I requested data on the mailing list because I thought there would be like minded people subscribed to it. I did manage to get some good pointers from some readers, for which I am very grateful.

mick