[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

Felix Hartmann extremecarver at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 09:05:19 GMT 2012

On 03.01.2012 11:36, Lester Caine wrote:
> Pieren wrote:
>>> If someone does this in my area, I'll revert the deletion as vandalism.
>>> >
>> Funny. I also consider adding non-existing stuff as "vandalism". I
>> hope we will never contribute on the same areas...
>
> This is the current reason *I* have been unable to contribute to OSM
> in the last few years. All of the material I am gathering relates to
> historic mapping and I want somewhere that I can share it with other
> like minded users. Perhaps now is the time simply to fork a version
> that is only intended for historic mapping. There does not seem to be
> any agreement on a cross database API as an alternative to destroying
> data as it is superseded by changes on the ground. But one of the
> rules that does apply is that data that has been generated by others
> SHOULD NOT simply be destroyed unless it is inappropriate.

The thing is - historic data that doesn't exist anymore is inappropriate
because it is confusing for anyone contributing to OSM. For the same
reason we don't want to have anything that is in the air. E.g. if people
would trace flight-routes into OSM, they would add lots of confusion, as
they are not on the ground. Flight routes or historic AND not existing
on ground anymore objects is simply confusing. Adding tags to a current
street/way that states that it was once a Roman street on the other hand
is of course okay (as long as it was important and is currently in a
broader sense touristically important), because it is still on the ground.