[OSM-talk] Making dealing with license problem objects easier

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:09:00 GMT 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:

> Suggestion 1
>
> I'd like to suggest we invent a tag which says "I have checked this object
> for changes by non-accepters and personally verified it against sources
> independent of the changes of those non-accepters who made changes", so that
> when that tag is added, the changes the non-accepter made become my
> responsibility.
>
> e.g. verifylicense=bing ("I checked it against bing") or
> verifylicense=bing;local_knowledge ("I checked the route on Bing and I
> personally know the name")
>
> This way we don't have to do lots of unnecessary deleting and replacing, and
> we keep the history.
>
> Frederik's tool could take account of this tag in what it displays as
> vulnerable.

This already exists in the form of the odbl=clean tag. Anything tagged
this way will show up green in Frederik's map. It is documented here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Remapping/License_Change_View_on_OSM_Inspector

> Suggestion 3
>
> There is a particularly pernicious pattern where user 'ulfl' (others too,
> but by far the most prolific) went round some years ago changing lots of tag
> names without changing anything else, and he has now explicitly declined the
> CT, so there are now lots of real changes on top which will be lost because
> of these purely mechanical changes.
>
> I think we should not count these as significant edits for the purposes of
> the license change. If someone changes shop=barbers to shop=hairdressers
> etc, these are admin changes not geographical ones. If ulfl is still on this
> list, would you agree or object?

If such changes can be easily picked out by changeset, then the whole
changeset could maybe be considered clean. This is what has been done
with the TIGER name expansion edits in the US. The user has declined
but explicitly allowed all of his changesets tagged with bot=yes to be
relicensed and Frederik's map takes this into account as documented
here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Quick_History_Service

Of course we can't just go rampaging through all changesets and
marking them as clean... but it is a mechanism that is available. Of
course all this is assuming that the final process will honor these
same rules.

Toby