[OSM-talk] Announcement: Trafficspeed.org, a free traffic speed information system

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu Jan 5 12:57:26 GMT 2012

Copied from another user in the web forum...
-------------------------------------
I'm announcing the beta test phase for Trafficspeed.org, an
Openstreetmap based traffic speed information system. This is a
free-to-use, crowd-based system for handheld devices to provide
up-to-date traffic speed information of the traffic at your location.
I wasn't happy with existing systems to see traffic jams on my way to
work, I can take alternate routes to work but there wasn't really a good
system to help me making a quick decision which route to take. This
systems does this.

With the end of alpha testing, all features of the current development
phase are fully enabled.  We've been doing alpha testing in US/Oregon
for the past couple of months so it's time to open this up to a larger
audience now. It's working world wide even though I'm measuring latency
to the US west coast servers to see how servers on other continents need
to be distributed.

Traffic data is provided by users that use the handheld's GPS to access
traffic information. Everyone who sees this posting is probably going to
be the first user in your area so the best way to create a base coverage
is to use it with a group of friends or coworkers that have a similar
way to work.

More details at: http://trafficspeed.org/myroutes/faq