[OSM-talk] old planet files with 'nolt' in the name

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sat Jan 14 19:57:26 GMT 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 01:38:32PM -0600, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> > But you should really be using the full history file - fraction of the
> > download size and you have it all in there!
>
> I know, they're just harder to work with for me. I have some code
> based on imposm.parser which does not seem to want to parse .osh.pbf
> files.
> osmjs seems the way to go for me for working with full history files
> (I can't code C++) but I'd have to rewrite that python code (and the
> accompanying unit tests).
>
> Will probably try both. I love that the history files are available
> and I'd much prefer using them, also because it allows for much deeper
> inspection into the user contribution dynamics than the snapshots.

You can use Osmium to extract a normal planet file from a planet history file
with the data for any date you want. The osmium_range_from_history example
program shows how to do this. As it is, it just extracts the current planet,
but if you change the two 'time(0)' parameters of the range_handler you can
give any time range or, if they are the same, any point in time.

Jochen