[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

mick bareman at tpg.com.au
Sun Jan 15 00:54:07 GMT 2012

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 09:43:27 +0000
Graham Jones <grahamjones139 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mick,
>
> On 14 January 2012 05:28, mick <bareman at tpg.com.au> wrote:
>

> > My goal was to create a 'Bastard Son of OSM' as a means to share my work
> > with those people of similar interest but, as OSM has no ability to offer
> > user selected layers I'm looking at other options.
> >
> > Please let us know which option you settle on - I would be interested to
> see how that works.
>
> I think I misunderstood your original question.   I see now that you were
> proposing to set up a completely different system, based on the OSM
> software.

One example of my long-term goals (I'll leave them to my Grandchildren ;) ) is to be able to take say an layer containing prehistoric monumental and settlement features and look at the extent to which the Romans developments respected these.

In the fullness of time and with plenty of support, I'd like to see layers to cover all periods of history covered.

This requires a renderer / display set up that allows the use to select what features you want and filter out those you don't.

> You could easily use the existing OSM software to produce different map
> layers for display based on start/end date / civilization / period etc. for
> display to users (as long as you tag the features in the map with these!).
>
> Do you mean editor support for 'layers' to make it easy to edit only
> features with a specific start/end date / civlization etc.?    The JOSM
> editor allows you to filter data (
> http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Dialog/Filter), which could give you
> a similar effect (e.g. only display data tagged as civilization=roman
> etc.).  I am not sure if you can do that in Potlatch though.

I am no where near that advanced yet, I'm still sifting a few 17th - early 20th century books for the rough courses of the roads and camps,settlements, forts and towns and plotting them in Mapinfo layer files, and using converted OSM & OS opendata layers for the base layers eg. coastlines, rivers settlements.

> Therefore I think you could achieve what you want with existing OSM
> software.   Maybe a bit of customisation to make editing easier or to allow
> filtering on date ranges.

What I can see of OSM the editing tools are quite good, though they could/should be enhanced if my goals reach 'critical mass'. The rendrering engine will require significant enhancement to support selectable layers unless I have missed something.

Mick
Kurwongbah, Qld, Au