[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 09:33:37 GMT 2012

Mick,

On 15 January 2012 00:54, mick <bareman at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> One example of my long-term goals (I'll leave them to my Grandchildren ;)
> ) is to be able to take say an layer containing prehistoric monumental and
> settlement features and look at the extent to which the Romans developments
> respected these.
>
> In the fullness of time and with plenty of support, I'd like to see layers
> to cover all periods of history covered.

Me too, but I would not expect the main OSM page to do this - we will have
to have a separate 'OSM-history' map I think.

> This requires a renderer / display set up that allows the use to select
> what features you want and filter out those you don't.
>
> What I can see of OSM the editing tools are quite good, though they
> could/should be enhanced if my goals reach 'critical mass'. The rendrering
> engine will require significant enhancement to support selectable layers
> unless I have missed something.

I will make a mock up rendering tonight to see if it is the sort of thing
you are thinking of - I was just thinking of adding a layer switcher to my
existing history map (http://maps3.org.uk/tiles/historic.html) to allow you
to select prehistoric/roman/modern features etc.
Nag me if I don't get back to you 'cos it will mean I got distracted by
something else!

Cheers

Graham.

--