[OSM-talk] OSM and shipping disasters

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 15 08:59:29 GMT 2012

Aun Johnsen wrote:
> I noticed tonight, through the shipping site gcaptain.com, on one of
> their articles following the cruise disaster of Costa Concordia off
> the coast of Italy, that some news sources use OSM maps to illustrate
> the area of the grounding.

OSM usually has a lot more detail. Also because a lot of people are tracing from
detailed BING imagery.

> On the following page you can compare the look (and maybe a little
> detail) difference between Google map, traditional ECDIS (nautical
> electronic map display) and OSM of the area around Giglio Porto, where
> the cruise liner hit a submerged rock and finally sank.

If that red line is the course the vessel took than I can understand why the
captain has been arrested and charged for manslaughter. It's stupid to sail a
290m long and 35m wide vessel through a 60 meter gap if you don't have to.

Regards,
Maarten