[OSM-talk] OSM and shipping disasters

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 11:14:11 GMT 2012

2012/1/15 Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl>:
> Aun Johnsen wrote:
>> I noticed tonight, through the shipping site gcaptain.com, on one of
>> their articles following the cruise disaster of Costa Concordia off
>> the coast of Italy, that some news sources use OSM maps to illustrate
>> the area of the grounding.
>

> OSM usually has a lot more detail. Also because a lot of people are tracing
> from detailed BING imagery.

Just in case someone wants to help to improve the map of the area: In
Italy there are also aerial images from the Italian government [1][2]
available for tracing (odbl-compliant). They are very well referenced
and aligned (much better then Bing) and date from 2006 for the area in
question. They cover the whole country at the same resolution.

Cheers,
Martin

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Italy/PCN  (italian)
[2] http://wms.pcn.minambiente.it/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=/ms_ogc/service/ortofoto_colore_06.map&LAYERS=ortofoto_colore_06_32,ortofoto_colore_06_33&REQUEST=GetMap&VERSION=1.1.1&FORMAT=image%2Fjpeg&