[OSM-talk] Request for Romano-British features

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 22:44:10 GMT 2012

> This requires a renderer / display set up that allows the use to select
>> what features you want and filter out those you don't.
>>
>>  The rendrering engine will require significant enhancement to support
>> selectable layers unless I have missed something.

Hi Mick,

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind (
http://maps3.org.uk/tiles/historic_layers.html)?

It has a VERY crude filtering of prehistoric / Roman / medieval and
'modern' historic features, and an even rougher rendering of those
features.   (to do it properly we will need either civlization/period tags,
or start/end dates, and spend a lot more time on the presentation than I
have!).

But, there is a layer switcher on the right hand side of the map where you
can select a base map (I used the standard OSM rendering and cycle map,
because I thought that if we do it for real, we would want a topographic
base layer more than a motorway network?)
Each layer is rendered a bit differently so you can see them change when
you switch them on and off.

Note that I have not rendered much of the map - it will get very slow as
you zoom in, because it will start to render the map on demand, and my
database seems a bit slow for some reason....

There are obviously lots of improvements - at the very least a link to an
editor like we have on the brewmap <http://brewmap.maps3.org.uk>, so you
can correct things that are tagged incorrectly, then different icons for
different types of features within the layers (they are all the same at the
moment).

There is a 'how it works' section at the bottom of the
map<http://maps3.org.uk/tiles/historic_layers.html>if you are curious
about how I have done it.

Hope that helps.

Graham.