[OSM-talk] OSM downtime as protest against SOPA?

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 17 07:00:21 GMT 2012

I agree with you Nick, I really do. But I have reconsidered my view in
light of affect that such draconian laws will have on community
websites.

from what I understand is that the OSM site could experience problems
under SOPA when someone introduces a link spam.

"One of the many issues with SOPA that is so offensive is that it
allows any and all sites with links to copyrighted content to be
summarily blocked. A recent amendment has made this even more
egregious, allowing ISPs to block entire domains even when a court
order specifies one certain link or page."
http://www.geekosystem.com/anti-sopa-petition-whitehouse/

The point is, OSM has a way to deal with spam, it does not need the us
government getting involved in policing its wikis, database etc.
also the history would have to be purged of these links etc.

mike

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Nick Hocking <nick.hocking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be more advisable (and I mean MUCH more advisable),
> to keep OSM, and these lists as a site about maps and mapping
> rather than become a political activism site.

James Michael DuPont