[OSM-talk] [Tagging] Mapping guidelines

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 15:41:47 GMT 2012

Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Nathan Edgars II<neroute2 at gmail.com>:
>> On 1/17/2012 8:10 AM, Simone Saviolo wrote:
>> I'm not suggesting either of these. But a single chunk of houses is clearly
>> all residential, whether it's the size of a few lots or a huge subdivision.
>
> +1. public streets are not part of it. Have a look how others deal
> with this at a scale of 1:2000 (zoom 18).
>
>> Splitting it at roads gives no benefit and complicates editing greatly. This
>> is just ridiculous:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=35.323225&lon=-119.077089&zoom=18
>
> how does that complicate anything? Connecting roads to landuses and
> other areas complicates editing greatly. A mapping like the above
> eases editing and is more precise then a huge landuse-polygon. I don't
> find anything ridiculous in this.

While on the whole I agree, it does get a little tricky where the roads are
perhaps not so neatly delineated.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.0732&lon=-1.82203&zoom=17&layers=M still
needs a bit more work, but while some of the 'service roads' are just that,
others are actually tarmac for the full area between builds, with some areas of
it being used as parking, and it is describing these differences that impinges
on this fine detailing of 'industrial area' ... we still have to improve on the
micro-mapping guide lines ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL