[OSM-talk] Road cores and casings on standard Mapnik rendering

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 11:03:18 GMT 2012

The current tagging rules for links don't make life at all easy for the
renderer, but I got flamed when I suggested that the "link" road should
take the status of the lower classification (unless it's a motorway_link).

It's compounded with various problems with how Mapnik handles layers and
bridges.

So instead I add links_lower and links_higher tags, and render (both order
and colour) on the basis of the contents of the links_lower tag.

Perhaps the rendering gods prefer Mapnik to be a bit crap, so cartographers
can add value by doing something better. Who knows.

Richard