[OSM-talk] How I got here - was Geocaching.com moved to OSM (partly)

Rob Warren warren at muninn-project.org
Mon Jan 23 18:06:44 GMT 2012

Graham,

On 22-Jan-12, at 12:31 PM, Graham Jones wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> On 21 January 2012 14:30, Rob Warren <warren at muninn-project.org>
> wrote:
>
> [1]  http://rdf.muninn-project.org/ontologies/graves.html
>
> As no-one else has responded, I will have to show my ignorance and
> admit that I do not know what you mean. There are often responses on
> these lists that 'we' do not want data type 'X' in the main OSM
> database - it should be in a separate one. So, if you are proposing
> to set up a separate database and show how it could be lined to OSM,
> that would be really good.

Simply put, it is a complex RDF schema for information about graves
and human remains. It also keeps track of annoying but related things
like the location of the cemetery and the location of the grave in the
cemetery.

I was reading about the German effort to record grave information on
wikipedia; I thought it might be interesting to write a bridge so that
lod-data  can percolate into OSM. I know that the api web pages
discourage this, but in the long run I think it will become necessary.

> There has been quite a bit of discussion about mapping historical
> things here recently and I wonder if this could be incorporated into
> some sort of general 'historicOSM' database?

I'd like that. My two concerns are that 1) we need better support on
the front end to determine when and what should be rendered to the
user and 2) it won't be practical for me to upload data to OSM in a
manual changeset. We need better automation.

rhw