[OSM-talk] "proprietary" keys and values, machine readable vs. humans

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 15:59:17 GMT 2012

Frederik Ramm wrote:
> On 01/24/2012 04:27 PM, Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
>> We will see much more proprietary keys in the future because people are
>> importing huge amounts of spatial data from external sources.
> Maybe we should simply stop them from doing that?
>
>> Much of that
>> data is hard or impossible to update by OSM contributors but new updates
>> will be offered from the original sources.
> That sounds like a perfect reason to not import.
>
>> Topological data and landuse
>> data are some examples. Corine land cover will be updated this year, 9
>> gigabytes of topological vector data from the National Land Survey of
>> Finland will be free under attribution-only license in May and so on.
>
> All that should not be in OSM.

Actually this is probably a perfect example of the sort of stuff that SHOULD be
available as secondary layers? Like the contour information on freemap would be
nice as a selectable layer. But what we have always been missing is a clean way
of cross referencing objects which UUID was intended to provide. While the page
has been marked for deletion, much of the detail IS still documented such as
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:uuid/Proof_of_Concept and the other uses
of uuid's with other datasets. Using node and way numbers are not stable enough
as cross-references?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL