[OSM-talk] Night of the living maps 07.02.2012 - a 'virtual' global mapping party

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Fri Jan 27 10:42:38 GMT 2012

>since a few weeks, we had the idea for a global action, that we'd like
>to announce today: www.nightofthelivingmaps.org
>At Thursday, the 07.02.2012 we stay awake a whole night long, to trace
>aerial imagery for the areas, that where we currently lack a lot of
>informations: the countryside. Outside the big cities of your counties.
>Sadly we have no real big international events here at OSM, maybe we can
>change that with this 'LAN party'?

Good idea but - I would like to urge some degree of caution on this in the UK. In north-west Hampshire a year or two ago, someone erroneously added a series of footpaths from aerial imagery, which turned out not to be footpaths but maybe hedges or drainage ditches. Same happened in the Fareham area of Hampshire in around the same time scale.

So if you're deriving footpaths or tracks from aerial imagery, please only add them if it is *absolutely obvious* that they are paths or tracks.

Thanks,
Nick