[OSM-talk] Night of the living maps 07.02.2012 - a 'virtual' global mapping party

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 10:54:55 GMT 2012

2012/1/27 Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>:
> Good idea but - I would like to urge some degree of caution on this in the
> UK.

+1, actually not only there.

> So if you're deriving footpaths or tracks from aerial imagery, please only
> add them if it is *absolutely obvious* that they are paths or tracks.

adding (and removing) stuff based on aerial imagery without local
knowledge is always a problem. On the German list Sven Geggus wrote
about a new house he had inserted from the construction drawing which
he had himself georeferenced, and later someone deleted that and
remapped a house from Bing which was demolished 3 years ago...

So be careful and edit preferably in empty zones (which worldwide
aren't hard to find).

cheers,
Martin