[OSM-talk] Critical Mass for license change-over

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 20:52:46 GMT 2012

I would definitely echo the concerns of uncertainty put forward by
others. Right now all the existing tools have disclaimers that "this
is MY interpretation of what will be deleted." We need something
without that disclaimer before we can really say what will be lost.

Specific questions that need an answer:
1) As Nathan pointed out, nothing currently looks at way
splitting/combining. This could be HUGE deal for the interstates in
the US thanks to some declining armchair mappers who did a lot of
initial work on them after the TIGER import. I tried contacting a
couple of them to see if they would be willing to specifically
relicense their armchair edits but never got a response.
2) Are "trivial" bot/typo type edits as are being documented on the
Quick History Service wiki page[1] really going to be relicensed even
if the user has declined and has not given permission?
3) will the odbl=clean tag be respected? We are closing in on 15,000
uses of this tag.

At this point I kid of doubt we will get solid answers to these
questions in time to allow for any further remapping before April 1...

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Quick_History_Service

Toby