[OSM-talk] Attention, mappers in Halland, Sweden

Joakim Fors joakim at joakimfors.org
Sun Jan 29 20:45:36 GMT 2012

Russ Nelson <nelson <at> crynwr.com> writes:

> Not to brag, but between Richard Welty, NE2, and I, we have New York
> State is pretty darned good shape. The railroads are almost perfect,
> and most counties with TIGER crap (you know what I mean -- where T
> intersections are Y-shaped) have been cleaned up. We're now down to
> the point where new construction is starting to be a factor in map
> changes.
>
> You would have to work hard to find places in New York State which
> aren't comparable to GM.

A bit harder to keep areas out in the woods in really good shape
when you don't have PD data to work from and aerial coverage is lacking.
Only way is to get in your car with your GPS and drive for hours through the
forest to map all those small forestry roads like inte the Halland example.
I'm actually impressed that the coverage is as good on OSM at it is in that area.
Bing is just a blurry mess and there are no official sources to get CT compatible
road data from.

Try dropping a Google streetview pin in that area and look at the narrow roads
and just forest and some fields for km after km. So the reason for no data on
OSM is because there almost isn't anything there IRL either. But I guess DMI
want's info on where all the forest harvesters are driving around on bad
dirt roads.

;)

/Joakim