[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Michael Eric Menk mikemenk at yahoo.no
Wed Jul 25 09:08:25 BST 2012

On 07/25/2012 09:42 AM, Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
> Oficial language in Ukraine is Ukrainian. Even Russia doesn't dispute
> that. So,*in my opinion*, no.
In my opinion, if there are multiple languages and there is a dispute,
the language on the sign should be the guiding principle.

If we look where I live (Norway), we have multiple official languages.

Some municipalities have 4 official languages, in that  case, the fist
name on the sign should be in the name tag.

You also have nat_name, and loc_name that can be used.

eg.
name= whats on the sign
nat_name=the nations official name
name:<code>=language name.

So this sign: http://www.sprakrad.no/upload/11207/porsanger.jpg

name=Porsanger kommune
name:no=Porsanger kommune
name:<kvensk>=Porsangin komuuni
name:si=Porsanggu gielda

PS: do not know how to get the non-ASCII char in the picture...  And I
do not know the langcode for kvensk.

One reason for having the sign name as name=, is that the ones that
really needs a map, aren't local people, but travelers, and they need to
be able to look on the map and the signs. In other cases names can be
more diffrent than ????????? ????? and ????????? ??????. So as a
potential tourist to Ukraine.... Use the signed name...
--
Mike Menk