[OSM-talk] Post-Redaction state of data on Geofabrik download server

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Jul 26 09:18:41 BST 2012

Hi,

     Grex Troxel asked me this, and agreed to making it public:

> I remember some notion that the geofabrik download server would change
> during the license change, and that the pre-redaction cc-by-sa data
> would remain for a while, and CT/ODbL data would be in a new path.
>
> In the US, there are spots where there was a lot of redaction damage,
> and it will take some time to fix (perhaps a few months), so especially
> this week for use of the data it can make sense to use the pre-bot bits.
>
> Can you explain what's on the download server, e.g. at
>
>    http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/north-america/us/

Yes, I'm sorry for the confusion. I had announced earlier that the
Geofabrik downloads would remain at a pre-ODbL version for a while and
ODbL downloads would be offered at a different location in order not to
have people accidentally process content that is differently licensed.

I did not keep (or plan to keep) pre-redaction (as opposed to pre-ODbL)
versions of all the extracts though so what you currently see on the
download server is last night's situation with all redaction bot edits
in place.

I can see that there's a need for pre-redaction stuff and I'll prepare a
static set of pre-redaction downloads and upload them to
download.geofabrik.de/osm-pre-redaction.

This will however take somewhere between 12 and 24 hours.

In case somebody is confused: "pre-redaction" is the data from before
the redaction bot started, i.e. early July. "pre-ODbL" (and
post-redaction) is where we are now because our data is legally still
CC-BY-SA even after the bot is through. "post-ODbL" is where we will be
after OSMF have announced that from now on the data is released under
ODbL, something that will happen in the next couple of months. Or weeks.
Or hours. Who knows ;)

Bye
Frederik