[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 10:48:39 BST 2012

2012/7/26 Tirkon <tirkon33 at yahoo.de>

> Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>
> >1. The concrete question: Should all name tag in the Crimea be in
> >Russian (with appropriate name:uk tags of course), even though the
> >official language in Ukraine is Ukrainian?
>
> In Belgium there is a heavy language dispute between frensh speaking
> Wallonia and dutch speaking Flanders.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_legislation_in_Belgium
>
> I had contact with the local Belgium OSM community during mapping in
> bilingual regions. The community told me they agreed, to take the
> names from the streetname-sign. If this signs mention both the dutch
> and the french name they take the same order in the name tag of this
> streets. The mentioned languages and their order on the
> streetname-signs are the model for every name tag in that town. If
> i.e. the order is dutch-french then the name of the town, the station
> etc. takes the same order.
> example:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.79738&lon=4.37421&zoom=15&layers=M
>
> I do not know whether this model fits for your problem.

The language dispute is largely settled by now, you know. The way it is
settled is a compromise, of course (as always in this country). On one side
of a street you may find one order, on the other side the reverse order.
It even goes as far that the order of languages in announcements on trains
is alternated while the train is traveling through bilingual parts of the
country.
For stations there are signs with one order and others (in between?) with
the reverse order.

Anyway, as far as OSM goes, it's the first mapper who maps something who
decides on which order is being used.

For street names I wouldn't mind French - Dutch consistently as French uses
Noun/Adjective whereas we use Adjective/Noun in Dutch (like in English, but
we write Parkstraat in one word, like in German...)

Anyway, just to say that that particular issue is mostly solved in Belgium.

I think the solution with a lang tag (for each element) to indicate how to
give a standard (order of) language(s) is the best we can do. Having the
example map on openstreetmap.org adapt to the user's language preferences
in the browser seems a bit hard, as it would mean several tiles would need
to be rendered for each possible combination of languages/transliterations.

Polyglot