[OSM-talk] Naming disputes in Ukraine

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 15:06:54 BST 2012

On Friday 27 July 2012 04:56:43 Tirkon wrote:
> >Rue de
> >
> >  Quelque Chose
> >      Iets
> >           straat
> >
> >With names it can be compacted as
> >
> >Avenue
> >   John Doe
> >          laan
>
> For me as a non native dutch/french this looks obfuscating.
>
> Is this the way you find it on the streetname-signs or only in OSM?

No, those are street signs (also, not all street signs will put them like that
either). In OSM it's either "name=Avenue John Doe - John Doelaan" or the other
way around.

> I mapped the street names in Sint-Genesius-Rode - Rhode-Saint-Genèse.
> I heard people nearly only speaking french there and was not aware of
> the heavy language dispute at that time. Thus I took the direction
> french - dutch. (As well I filled in the name.fr and name:nl tag.)
> Then a man living nearby told me that the belgium OSM community had
> decided to write first the upper and then the lower sign into the name
> tag. Thus he changed everything to dutch-french, which is the order
> from the signs. After that other people changed some street back to
> french-dutch. Since them I decided not to map there any more. ;-) I do
> not want to be part of the dispute.

Officially that municipality is Flemish, so Dutch-speaking, but has facilities
for French. So according to the rules it should be Dutch - French. But yes,
this creates some cases where the majority of the population is native in the
other language...

Ben