[OSM-talk] Mapnik Lowzoom TIles - proof of concept

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 12 21:05:41 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 03/12/2012 09:18 PM, Stephan Knauss wrote:
> How would it look if adding highway=motorway,trunk,primary to the
> rendering? Maybe in light shades of grey?

All these *are* already on the rendering; the rendering is based on
plain z9 tiles which are just bitmap reduced. They're just not prominent
enough. Using a few simple tricks a la
http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/tiles/ the roads could perhaps be
brought out more. Of course I could also simply not render landcover at
all at z9.

> Is transparency an option? So areas with higher mapping density would
> come up more prominent?

I don't think that would work with the bitmap approach.

> Was the query speed a problem for the mapnik setup?

No, it was relatively benign, took my tile server a few hours to make
the base tiles on z9 and then the rest was easy.

Bye
Frederik