[OSM-talk] Latest changes on main page

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Mar 14 11:16:46 GMT 2012

On 14/03/12 11:04, Pieren wrote:

> I think the last change about the map key on the osm.org main page is
> a bad idea. The "Map Key" link is now at first position (more
> prominent)  This gives the impression that the first service provided
> by OSM is the online map (and its map key). I don't want to discuss
> again the opportunity to show or not the slippy map itself. But the
> links on the right side should be in the same priorities/order as the
> project is : the "database" (e.g. a page explaining the planet
> extracts and the different formats), then the "community", the "help"
> and finally - the "map keys" of one of the maps produced with OSM data
> (which is empty at the moment when we select one of the non-standard
> map but that's another point).

We recognise that the map key link is not ideal there, and it is not
likely to stay there long term. You can see the discussion that led to
that commit here:

   https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/pull/31

Note Tom MacWright's comment "Map Key needs to move out, onto the map,
and probably be rethought entirely, but that can be a separate push."

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/