[OSM-talk] Survey about Incentives to contribute to OSM

Simone Cortesi simone at cortesi.com
Wed Mar 14 18:25:57 GMT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 16:10, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Dominik Wilmsen <wilmsend at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We would like to invite you to participate in a survey on motivations
>> and obstacles to contribute
>> geographic information to
>> OpenStreetMap. OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project to create a
>> free editable map of the world.
>
> Dear OSM contributors, and survey authors,
>
> You might not be sick of nonsense survey authors requesting our
> personal information to "study our project".  You might even be
> tempted to reply and to fill in their survey.
>
> If you do, please, first find evidence that you are responding to a
> legitimate survey from an accredited research institution.  And that
> it has appropriate oversight and privacy guidelines.
>
> Not everybody who uses "surveys" to collect personal information is
> doing so in your best interest.  In fact, they could not possibly be
> doing so.
>
> Two surveys, broadcast on our networks within a week?  This stinks of
> a new trend.

Good points Richard,
in addition to this: I've been part of this community for a while (7
years) and never heard about this people pretending to be from the
university of Münster, Germany.

A little bit of introduction and behind the scene information might
help to clear up some fog.

Thanks,
Simone.

--