[OSM-talk] About GSOC 2012

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 19:29:16 GMT 2012

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in applying for GSoC with Openstreetmap.   This
list will be fine to ask questions.

Here are a few suggestions to get you started:

- It is important to understand the fundamentals of what OSM is, so if you
have not done so before, please start by creating an account and making
some improvements to the map in your local area.

- It would also be good to look at the OSM data structure.  Details of the
xml file format can be found on our wiki.

- The next stage is for you to develop a project proposal - our ideas
page<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/GSoC_Project_Ideas_2012> lists
quite a few ideas, but these need some development to turn them into a
successful project proposal - you should be able to see our application
template on the Google GSoC web site.

Hope that helps.   Please feel free to ask more questions as you develop
your proposal.

Regards

Graham

On 21 March 2012 15:39, Andun Sameera <andunslg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am a undergrad of University of Moratuwa Sri Lanka. I read your
> descriptions of the GSOC ideas. I did several project which use maps
> and manipulates maps. So I am really interested in doing a project
> with you for this years GSOC. So can I discuss relevant thing in this
> mailing list?
>
> Can You Please provide me more details?
>
> Thank You

Graham Jones