[OSM-talk] About GSOC 2012

Andun Sameera andunslg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 01:16:07 GMT 2012

Dear Graham,

I read the idea page and find out that following projects are really
interesting and have a good potential for me,

1 - Improve / Create Simple Android OSM editor
2 - OSM Application for Android
3 - Offline Map Viewer App with Notes - Enhancing NeoMap App for Android
4 - Android Application to have complete tracking record of Friends
using OSM Data
5 - Nominatim (or alternative)
6 - HTML Based Micromapping Editor

I did three major project in my university which is really similar to
these kind of projects, Following description will give an idea bout
those projects,

1 -  Did a major Android development project called Travel
Ceylon(http://www.insightforfuture.blogspot.com/2012/01/travel-ceylon-inteligent-travel-planner.html)
as my 3rd year software project at the university. It was a Android
application which is capable of providing trip plans in side Sri
Lanka. It uses a web service to get details to generate trip plans.
That web service also created by me. Using that Axis2+Java web service
my application generates trip plans intelligently considering users
interests.

* Interest list of the traveler.
* Starting position.
* Destination position.
* Time period of travel.
* Special places to be included.
* Special places to be avoided.
* Which cities do you want to stay.

Also I am currently developing a standalone version of Travel Ceylon
app. I use my web service to get details about cities and places in
Sri Lanka. In my standalone app, I integrate all these data into the
application itself using a SQLite database.

My android App’s codebase -
https://code.google.com/p/travel-ceylon-android-client/

My Web Service’s codebase - https://code.google.com/p/travel-ceylon-web-service/

You can visit my blog link to see complete set of screen shots of my
app. In near future I will release it to Android Market.

2 - MYJE - Make Your Journey Easy : Navigational System : This project
is a navigational system for Sri Lanka, which provides you the paths
to unknown destination and guide you through the path. Users are
guided though direction commands to their destination.

3 - I did some development regarding finding bus roots in Sri Lanka.
For example if you are in Sri Lanka, You have to go by several buses
to reach a place. So I Purposed an app can suggest those buses and
routes on users request.

4 - These days I am developing an Android application for Sri Lanka
Police Department. The university choose me to do that project. Police
department want a application which shows mobile communication details
of a place. They want to use it in their crime investigations.

5 - Also I am a major web developer of my University, Currently I
leading a team which creates a new web portal for our computer
engineering department. I am really familiar with technologies like
HTML,javascript,php etc.

So having those experiences in Map related things, Android development
etc. I think I want to do a project with you. So to proceed with my
proposal work, I will do the things what you asked me. I have lot of
data related to Sri Lanka.

So can I contact those possible mentors directly to discuss about
those projects sir? Because I have lot of things to ask?

Thanks

Andun Sameera
Undergraduate
University Of Moratuwa