[OSM-talk] Worst of OSM

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue May 15 14:37:16 BST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:

> Personally I think it is discouraging. I think positive encouragement
> is much better than this negative method.

The problem is that this page is mixing real mistakes (mainly bad
imports) and areas where the geodata do not comply with the author
priorities or what the author thinks about what should be mapped first
(mainly good imports). He is probably restrained by his personal
experience where mapping must start with major roads, places names
then minor roads, all with GPS and then, landuse, buildings,
addresses, etc with hires aerial imagery, all surveyed by an army of
local enthusiasts.
This is a german centric view of how mapping should work because many
(if not the majority) of the countries in the world do not have enough
people surveying on the ground or even have an internet connection to
know that OSM exists. For instance, I'm not shocked by the detailed
Italian forest or the spanish place names without roads or the street
numbers without buildings. Remember, first OSM coastlines was also a
mass-import with nothing else mapped around during years.

Pieren