[OSM-talk] TomTom is thumping us

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Wed May 30 12:36:13 BST 2012

* John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com> [2012-05-29 09:15 +0100]:
> The nearest they make to an accurate point is "classification of
> footpaths as roads" --- I don't think I've seen any of those, but I
> have found quite a few "unclassified roads" that look more like
> "tracks" on Bing (and have adjusted them accordingly where confident
> of it).

I don't know if this is what they're talking about, but the TIGER data in
the US has more than a few footways, particularly wider, paved ones,
recorded as roads, which got imported into OSM as highway=residential.
(There are a lot of logging roads, 4x4 trails, and similarly
difficult-to-travel things also classified highway=residential.)  I fix
them as I find them, naturally, but it's a flaw in the TIGER dataset
(which I still think we're better off having imported).

--- --
  "Londo, are you deliberately trying to drive me insane?"
  "The universe is already mad.  Anything else would be redundant."
                       -- Vir and Londo (Babylon 5, "Dust to Dust")