[OSM-talk] Data copied from Google Maps

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 10:01:12 GMT 2012

On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. There are licence and contractual terms concerning the use of the
> StreetView service.

The use of the API...

> 2. There is a possible interpretation of these conditions that may well open
> one or more parties to legal action from the service provider.

That's why somebody asked Ed Parsons/Google in the past. To clarify
interpretations. His reponse was publicly forwarded at multiple times.
Why Google lawyers did not take any legal action or at least some
denial since 18 months ?

> 3. The OSM project wants to remain beyond reproach when it comes to its
> legal position on its data.
> 4. Those who wish to use such services should take the perogative to seek
> explicit permission to use them in the OSM context.
> 5. If that permission isn't obtained, we shouldn't use them.
>
> So, which of these points do you disagree with?

None. And this is not in contradiction with what Ed Parsons, Google
replied: ""so checking the odd street names is OK.. but every street
name I would suggest would represent a bulk feed"." (refering to the
collection of facts mentionned earlier).

Pieren