[OSM-talk] Data copied from Google Maps

Peteris Krisjanis pecisk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 10:06:12 GMT 2012

Hi everyone!

It seems that this list is magnet for very long, but sometimes useless
threads.

There are several facts people should remember before invest in this
discussion:
1. Common sensus/rule/whatever you call it in OSM is *not* touch
copyrighted stuff without clear license/permission to use it very
freely. Photos are copyrighted subject, even of your house in the
street. Now, there are different *ongoing* legal discussions around the
world about is it legal or not copy facts from photos. However, as long
as those disputes are ongoing and haven't ended in clear court decision,
we should avoid this - no matter how sweet is to have street names
without doing ground survey;
2. We don't delete stuff just because we find it suspicious. Best is
contact users first, get their POV, then contact data group.

And that's pretty much it.

We can discuss to death can we or can't we, but we won't copy stuff from
Google. But we also won't delete stuff before discussing this in
appropriate channels of communication.

Instead of that, how about improving map using current sources - like
Bing. And then going outside and writing down another bunch of house
numbers and POIs.

Cheers,
Peter.

O , 2012.11.06. 20:49 +1100, Ian Sergeant rakstīja: